Leases, tenants, and units, oh my!

Hi,
It seems that I’m supposed to track leases and tenants in the “leases and tenants” section. However in order to add a new lease for an existing unit, I have to create a new unit. That messes up the unit count and occupancy calculations. It also seems to mess up the calculations for income, cash flow, etc. since those use the rent roll in leases and tenants and not actual calculations based on transactitons.

So let’s say I’ve got a unit with a lease at 925/mo. That lease is expiring in March and i’m signing a new lease for $950. There seems to be no way to keep both leases over time without messing up some calculation. If I only show the current rent roll, then I avoid some problems with units, occupancy etc. But since the financial dashboard calculations, are based on rent roll and not transactions, you’ll incorrectly calculate the year if I simply change the rent from 925 to 950 on march 1st. Alternatively, if I add a ‘new unit’ that is the same unit as existing but use diffferent lease dates, it double counts the income rather than understanding that it should be 925 for the first 2 months and 950 for the next 10 in the year. There seems to be no way for your dashboards to remain accurate based on the current calculation.

I love the transaction and expense management but the ROI/Dashboard calculations seem completely useless as they are setup today. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong or adjust the logic so that it makes sense. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I had a tenant move out of one of my properties so I removed her name, rent, deposit, etc from the leases and tenants tab. When I did this it messed up the dashboard for that property. I have my actual transactions entered in so it seems to me that it would make more sense to look at the actual transactions for the property. Stessa people please help!

@monpetchproperties @ryleymarble Good questions. As currently implemented, the Leases & Tenants feature supports a single snapshot in time and is intended to reflect your current rent roll only. If a tenant moves out and a new one moves in, you’ll want to overwrite the old tenant data rather than add a new unit. Adding a new unit will indeed impact the dashboards and other key metrics in undesirable ways.

We’re working on a set of more advanced rent roll and tenant tracking features for release later this year. If you have specific ideas as to how it should work, join the following conversations:

Tenant ledger by unit, status of rent payments
Tracking past tenants and prior leases via the rent roll