Adding Categories, is Stessa the wrong accoounting tool for me?

I have read the forum and understand that custom categories are not allowed under Stessa. I have been test driving Stessa as an alternative to Quickbooks. I am a Realtor that flips houses and has rental properties. Some of the categories that I need are set up in Stessa already which is great. But I have a lot of other things that I pay for as business expenses that I can easily categorize in Quickbooks. Examples might be Cell Phone expense…what category do I use for this expense in Stessa? Monthly Storage Unit cost, Google cloud storage cost, Tools cost, and many more. Based on the way I operate the business, is Stessa not the tool for me? In order to use Stessa would I need to create another bank account that I would need to use to pay for expenses that are not direct expenses for a property and track those costs separately? Have other people using Stessa set up a system for this? Thanks for your help, Scott

1 Like

Cell phone expense would go under utility/telephone, cable, and internet. I would put google cloud in the admin/software subscriptions category.

Id put tools under R&M Supplies

I have 2 separate cash management accounts. One for general business expense (which i assign at the portfolio level) and another account for property specific expenses that i assign at the property level

I have been a new user as well and so far I don’t feel moving on to this system, as the customer service seems nonexistent. Both queries on the chat and the forums look unanswered. I don’t mind paying for the software, but accordingly we would need responsiveness on customer service side. The landlord accounts would add great values to my business as I have good sized balances in my accounts that can earn interest, but I posed a question regarding the compliance and safety of these accounts on forum which has been unanswered for almost 2 weeks. Same question asked on chat but so far it is unanswered.

Also, not being able to input custom category and sub-categories is big no-no. I am a software developer myself and I don’t see how and why it is so difficult to add these features if the platform is built right and they have staff to support it.

I am still experimenting with it, but very disappointed so far.

2 Likes

What sort of items do you put in your General Business Expenses bucket? I’m wondering if Hospitable, Price Labs, Canva, Touch Stay (which I currently split between properties) should go into a general expense bucket instead of a property bucket.

I feel you. Zero customer service is a no go for me. If I have a little bit of training and coaching I am sure that I could make it work for me, but as of now I am lost! I am super bummed as I was excited about this platform.

Wonder if anyone from Stessa is even paying attention to unhappy customers like us?

1 Like

Sorry, just seeing this now.

I think of general expenses such as Microsoft subscription, business-specific memberships, office supplies, tools, etc. as general business expenses. items that I do not use at solely a specific property.